My latest project. Can’t decide if it’s done (about 45″ square) as a wall hanging or if I’ll make it float on a solid color as a bed-sized quilt. I’ve been thinking it would float surrounded by Kona Cotton Espresso. Thoughts?
Category Archives: modern quilting
One of my first quilting attempts about 5 years ago from a photo much older than that. The picture is of my kids (the two little ones) with my brother’s boys on a family trip to Lake Tahoe. I loved creating the shapes of their little bodies, clothing and hair. The two middle boys are now well over 6 feet tall and both taller than the oldest on the left. And my daughter is now a tall beauty herself! I gave this to my mom, the “Gran Gran” and “DooDa” of all four kids.
Posting some things I made a while back in 2012 as gifts for family and friends. Everyone loves a portrait of their dog!
Still working on this one – I’m hand quilting it (my first attempt at hand vs machine quilting.) I used scrap slivers from another project. When it came together it reminded me of the NASA photos of space, hence the name.
I made this giant top about two years ago. The colored blocks are made from the leftover squares I’d cut to create a pixel quilt (from a photo of my daughter, Adrienne, dancing on the beach at sunset – below). The small blocks are variations on 9-patch and look like little flags to me. My sister in law loved it and I promised to finish it for her and my brother. A year later I am still finishing it…
I love how this turned out and will be glad that it will have a good home soon!
Update: Flags finally gifted to the Woodruffs July 2017!
A group within our Bee Modern San Francisco quilt group are exploring the creation of social issue quilts. Not knowing where to begin for our first attempt, we agreed to use “women” as a first theme for us each to explore. The only parameter was to make it 36″ square.
I discussed the concept with my daughter who came up with the idea of creating a quilt using the female chromosome kareotype. We wanted it to be scientifically correct and searched on the web and found this image for the pattern.
The result was this quilt which I titled “Its a Girl!”
This was posted on Facebook by a member of our group. Two sharp eyed people noted something was wrong – there are 24 pairs here and humans only have 23. I couldn’t figure out how we got it so wrong! This week one friend researched it and said he thinks our image was of a female – CHIMPANZEE. Oh well…Haven’t decided whether to redo it. Here are what the other creations our group made.