I just completed an art swap with a longtime friend of mine, Dan Gremminger. He admired an earlier version I made of this quilt design, and I been enjoying his Pop Portraits pixelated art series. We’ve mentioned it a few times over the years, but finally agreed at our last reunion (University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band! Hook Em Horns!) to do an art swap. This is my completed quilt for him with a few detail photos of the echo quilting below.
I was delighted to use this fabric for the back – I’ve been looking for the perfect project to use it!
In return, Danny painted this wonderful portrait of our beloved family dog, Sparky, whom we lost earlier in the year after 16 years. I wrote about him here. It is our new family treasure and heirloom.
I’m finally creating a project that’s been on my mind for years – making a crocheted rug from the leftover T-shirts from my kids’ memory quilts. I collected their favorite outgrown shirts for years and for each kid made a T-shirt memory quilt of the images printed on the front. This still leaves a lot of leftover fabric from the shirt – the back, the bottom and often the long sleeves. I made “T-yarn” from the bigger scrap pieces (there are lots of tutorials on how to do this – just Google it.) From this yarn, I’ve learned to crochet in-the-round and am making a large, colorful crocheted area rug (took a great class at ImagiKnit here in San Francisco.) I’m still going at it, but it’s getting pretty big!
…to make this!
I’ve been sticking to my 2018 New Year’s resolution to use repurposed materials, or to only use what I have in my stash and on hand. This project, thankfully, has helped me use up several bags of stored items. Also, it prompted me to go through my own wardrobe and repurpose shirts that no longer fit, are stained or that I simply have not been wearing. I have a lot of balls of T-yarn to use – this could get pretty darn big.
My New Year’s Resolution for 2018 was not to buy any new fabric and to focus on creating with only what I have on hand. I’ve mostly kept to that – and one that fills the bill is this one made from my husband’s shirts. As we were cleaning out our garage he found a bunch of shirts that he planned to give away. I intercepted (note I didn’t BUY anything new) and used them to make this shirt quilt. It’s been quite a project, however! It took a long time to cut up the shirts (lots of good videos on how to dissemble a shirt to get the maximum fabric for reuse.) Then, cutting and piecing to make the best use of the stripes took a long time as well. And this quilt in HUUUUGE – the biggest I’ve made yet (a comfortable king bed size – what was I thinking?) I have enough squares leftover for a twin size, I believe. Finally, I started quilting it on the machine outlining the seams, but it looked a mess. Sooo – I decided to hand-quilt the entire thing. I adore the look, but here we are in July and I’m still only about 1/3 of the way done, despite lots of marathon TV series watching while doing it. In the end, it’ll be worth it and a family treasure, I’m sure.
Keeping with my New Years Resolution to sew only what I have and NOT add more fabric to my hoard…I pulled out my technicolor scrap pile and created this quilt using foundation piecing. Not really having an overall plan or any idea how it would turn out, I must admit I LOVE it! The oblong bricks create an exciting energy. It practically screams at you! I’m quilting it now. #scrapquilting
I made this colorful center medallion ages ago while playing with very small leftover scraps from two other quilts I had gifted to others. I liked it so much but kept putting off making anything with it as it felt too precious and I was waiting for just the right idea. I decided to just DO SOMETHING and, while exercising during a dance class* it came to me to plunge into the deep turquoise and then created this. I submitted it to QuiltCon 2018 (alas, it was a #QuiltConReject!) but I love it anyway!
Started in June, this was my first entirely hand quilted quilt. Made from scraps leftover from our new queen-sized bed quilt, I had fun whipping it together, but it took months to quilt (and a lot of binge watching TV!) I love the look, but think next time if I’m going to do all that work I should use thread that makes sure you can see it! I originally called it “Be Positive” but renamed it “Proton” in honor of my son who is a physics major in college.
Still working on this one – I’m hand quilting it (my first attempt at hand vs machine quilting.) I used scrap slivers from another project. When it came together it reminded me of the NASA photos of space, hence the name.
This is from my wall of green scrappy “made fabric” from a few months ago. This was the ongoing -and apparently unending- task of trying to use up all my scraps for a useful purpose. I got pretty far on using a large portion of green tiny bits and came up with the idea to make a traditional Double Wedding Ring pattern as a companion piece to the star below, which I made last year. I like the contrast of the orderly traditional block pattern with the chaos of the green scrappy made-fabric. Both are around 36-42″ square.
I finished this a while ago but only recently got around to photographing it. I’m not sure what I want to title it yet. It features my fascination of creating blocks from random tiny scraps leftover from other projects . It’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever made!